FitNavigator. ru / edition
The material was prepared by the site team with the support of our experts: athletes, trainers and nutrition specialists. Our team. .
All novice bodybuilders dream of big arms.
To achieve this, they focus on exercises for the biceps, forgetting to train the triceps of the shoulder. But triceps form 2/3 of the volume of the upper limbs and give them a powerful, sculpted look. Therefore, the back surface of the hands, as well as the front, needs regular study.
The triceps is formed by three muscles - medial, lateral and long. Together they perform two main functions - bending the arm at the elbow and bringing the shoulder to the body.
From the point of view of bodybuilding, three bundles have the same value, but the volume of the upper limbs largely depends on the lateral (lateral) part of the triceps located on the outside of the shoulder.
Training of the triceps
In many sources on bodybuilding there is an opinion that you can act on each bundle of triceps separately. In fact, almost all exercises for the back of the hands involve three heads equally.
In addition, the general structure of the muscles is genetically determined, that is, if the athlete’s lateral triceps head is “behind”, accelerating its growth relative to the other two will be extremely problematic.
Nevertheless, there are "small tricks" that are used to increase the load on the side of the shoulder.
Below are exercises that allow you to shift the focus to the external triceps bundle due to non-standard equipment and an unusual grip:
- Extensions in the crossover . To perform, we take the rope handle and cling it to the cable of the upper block. We make a slight forward bend, literally a few degrees, so that the hands are on weight. Elbows slightly parted to the sides. On the exhale, gently extend the upper limbs.
Below, at the peak point of contraction, we linger for 1-2 seconds, then slowly inhale our arms with an inhalation. We do 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps. The peculiarity of the exercise is that the elbow joints are not pressed to the body and slightly apart to the sides, and the movement itself is performed strictly perpendicular to the floor.
- Extension in the crossover with one hand . We take a stable position in front of the unit and slightly tilt the case forward.
We cling to the upper cable with a D-shaped handle and take hold of it with a reverse grip (palm turned toward the ceiling). Hold the shoulder perpendicular to the floor, do not press it to the body. From this position, on the exhale, we extend the elbow. In the lower phase, we linger for a second, and then gradually return the hand to the starting position. We work only with the forearm, the shoulder itself should remain motionless.
We do 3-4 sets of 10-12 repetitions for each hand. Exercise can be performed in a sitting position.This will increase the load on the lateral beam due to the "shutdown" of the back.
- French bench press with dumbbells . We lay down on a horizontal bench.
The head remains on the seat so that the cervical region is not overstrained. Stop tightly against the floor. We take two small dumbbells with a reverse grip (palms are turned towards ourselves) and lift them above the chest. Keeping your shoulders perpendicular, with a breath, gently lower the weight "on the forehead." We linger for a second, and then, as we exhale, we extend our elbows and return our hands to their initial position.
Perform 3-4 sets of 10-12 repetitions.
- Lateral leads . We lay our back on a horizontal bench. We take in one hand a dumbbell with a grip "hammer" and lift it perpendicular to the floor. Inhale, bend the elbow and lower the weight to the opposite shoulder.
On exhalation, we move the limb to its original position. The movement is carried out only by the forearm. We perform 3-4 sets of 10-12 repetitions for each hand.
To pump powerful lateral triceps heads, the above exercises will not be enough. Professional athletes recommend that the basis of the training be multi-joint power elements that allow a comprehensive impact on the shoulder.
Let's analyze the most effective ones:
- Press with narrow grip (3x10-12). The position of the hands in the exercise plays a key role. If the brushes on the neck are too wide, the emphasis shifts to the pectoral muscles, if too narrow, the risk of injuring the hands or “filling up” the projectile increases sideways. Experienced athletes are advised to place their palms at a distance of 20-30 cm from each other. So, we lay down on the bench and take a narrow grip on the neck.
We remove the weight from the racks and with a breath, gently lower it to the bottom of the chest. We exhale vigorously and slowly lift the barbell over the pectoral muscles (we don’t start on the head!). The loin is held pressed to the bench.
- Push-ups from the bars (3x10-12). Beginners, when performing this exercise, make the following mistakes: relaxing hands in the negative phase, rocking the body and a strong lean forward.
Such defects in technology reduce the effectiveness of push-ups. The movements should be uniform and controlled, without jerking, a slight forward inclination is allowed. Proper execution: we take the bars and take a handstand; do not round the back; we breathe in and smoothly descend to the parallel of the shoulders with the floor; the elbows are not bent apart; exhale powerfully and return to the starting position.
- Reverse push-ups from the bench (3x10-12). Exercise is not recommended for beginner athletes due to the high risk of injury to the articular ligaments of the shoulder.
We turn our backs to the bench and lower our palms onto the edge of the seat. The knees are completely straightened, the feet are placed on the stop (second bench, chair, platform). From this position on the inspiration, we bend our elbows and lower the pelvis. Exhaling powerfully, we return to the starting position. To increase the load, we place on the front surface of the thighs several pancakes for the neck (with the help of a partner).
As a rule, the development of triceps is combined with the training of the back or chest. In this case, one power multi-joint exercise and one isolating one are selected. If you pump your hands on a separate day, increase the number of elements for the triceps to 3-4 and add to them the load on the biceps.
Recommendations for triceps training
Especially for beginner athletes, we provide useful tips to help safely and effectively strengthen the back surface of the hands.
- Choose the correct working weight.
Strength exercises that form the volume are done for 10-12 repetitions, and isolating exercises for relief - for 15-20 reps.
- Hold the voltage "within the amplitude." When performing narrow grip presses and push-ups from the bars, do not straighten the elbows to the end. This will increase the load on the triceps.
- Avoid cheating.
Try to do all the exercises only by extending your arms. It is not recommended to help yourself with the hull. If it’s hard, reduce the weight of the projectile and repeat.
- Warm up. Before working out the triceps, be sure to warm up the shoulder, elbow, and wrist joints.
This will help reduce the risk of injury.
- Use weights. If the exercise is easy, add extra weight. For example, in push-ups from the bars, increase the load with the help of a special belt on which pancakes are hung.
Try to avoid sharp pain in the elbow and shoulder joints.
If pain does occur, stop exercising for a few days and allow the tissues to recover.
Was the article helpful to you?
It is unfortunate that the article was not useful to you.
We ask for your advice!
Thank you for your feedback!
FitNavigator. ru / edition
The material was prepared by the site team with the support of our experts: athletes, trainers and nutrition specialists. Our team.