Busuanga Palawan Philippines
Busuanga Travel Guides
Busuanga Brief History
Busuanga Palawan history could well be said to date back as early as the 3,000 B.C. At that time a group of nomadic people were known to make such waves of immigration by way of land-bridges from the Asia mainland, some of which lagged and drifted along the Philippine Archipelago. Much later, the Malayans and Indonesians followed. For some thousand of years, they explored, discovered, utilized, and spread and populated the Philippine island, presumably including the island of Busuanga.
Accordingly, as early as the 9th century A.D., Chinese traders were known to transact business with the natives of the coastal regions of Calamianes, and referred to some places as “ Pa-lao-yu”’ “Kia-ma-yan”, “Pa-ki-nung”’ meaning of Palawan, Calamian, and Busuanga, respectively, as mentioned in their (Chinese) narratives.
In 1380, nearly a century and half before Christianity reached the Philippines, an Arab missionary from Malacao, named Mahdum, and introduced Islam in Sulu. Through the next three centuries the Islam faith must have spread and secured a profound influence in the lives of the early Filipinos. Thus, our ancestors possessed dominantly an Islamic-pagan life and culture long before the Spaniards came to the islands.
More than 300 years before the conversion of Busuanga into a municipality in 1951, the name BUSUANGA was already attributed to the island. Actually the name is ascribed to that of a big river, the largest in the municipality (an average width of 100 meters; length is unknown), christened by the natives after the great calamitous upheaval in nature.
According to the age-old legend, a small limpid river with a narrow picturesque bank no bigger than a brook flow and runs southward inland in a beautiful valley where people had their livelihood and seems to have always enough. Everyday the inhabitants make good spoils of the bounties of nature around, and lived a contented life. Until on that one fateful day, a violent, strong storm raged and rampage of the whole island; an on five or fourteen consecutive days, delude the place with heaviest rains and strongest winds ever to sweep the island.
With peace fully reining in the island, schools were re-opened; and the people vanishing then painful experiences of war happily sent their children to school. Accordingly, the US government gave aids and full support for rehabilitation of the people from their low economic state.
Busuanga came out of the ashes of war still recouping and, one year after, still wavering from the moral and economic depression which it suffered in war, was forced to emerged into a full- pledged independent municipality.
The year 1950 came to the dawn of birth of Busuanga as a full- pledged municipality. With 13 daughter barrios already settled and populated, it only waited for some process of law turned for its promulgation into an independent municipality.
It was Governor Gaudencio Abordo, then Congressman of Palawan, and foremost of the earliest Palaweño Stateman, who trigged the session of Congress in 1950 into his bill for the realization of the municipality. The Bill number 381, sought for the creation of Busuanga, including all the barrios in its real, into a municipality. Both houses of Congress approved the bill without much restraint, and its final approval by the President of the Republic of the Philippines was eventually contained and sealed in the Republic Act No. 560.
New Busuanga, the controverted, once-dissolve barrio founded by the members of the Evangelical church became politically the favored site for the municipality.
On December 30, 1951, with a temporary “wood and nipa” structure for a municipal building, the first town mayor, by virtue of appointment, served his term, Mayor Adriano Custodio. He ruled the first few months of its founding years up to December 1952.
It was Tiburcio Barracoso, a southern, a prominent clan from Salvacion, who ascended the mayorship by rights and virtue of popular election. His first bold act of moving the municipal site to Salvacion created the first wave “locality conflict” between the southerners and the northerners. Accordingly when northerner. Antonio Capague, 1956 to 1959, won the next election in 1955 the municipal site was moved again from Salvacion back to New Busuanga.
The succeeding mayors, however, did nor caused further migration of the municipal site since the political ticle and atmosphere in the higher level favored New Busuanga; and there the municipality remained until 1974.